First Chinese Baptist Church was founded on May 5, 1901 in Norfolk, Virginia by a small group of men and women with a heart to reach the Chinese of Norfolk with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Though we have grown and moved over the years, our mission has remained the same - to serve and minister to the community of Hampton Roads and southeastern Virginia, with emphasis on those of Chinese heritage. We look forward to seeing what else God will do in the years to come.
Download A Brief History of the First Chinese Baptist Church (PDF).
The Mission of the First Chinese Baptist Church is to be a Beacon of Christ's Light to all people, with emphasis on those of Chinese heritage, by:
- Glorifying God.
- Endeavoring to lead people to salvation through Jesus Christ by participating in local and world missions.
- Teaching and encouraging Believers to live according to the word of God.
- Providing a place where families of more than one generation can come together for worship and fellowship.
- Providing a home where Christian love and support will be experienced.
- Introducing Christian values and providing guidance, help, and encouragement to new Chinese living in the area.
Statement of Faith
- We believe that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God" and that the Bible is the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct of the Christians;
- We believe that the Godhead eternally exists in three persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - and that these three are one God;
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the only Son of God. We believe that Virgin Mary was conceived of the Holy Spirit and thus, the Word (Jesus) became man. Jesus is the complete God and the complete man. He was crucified on the cross. He bled and died to atone for the sins, of all men. On the third day after His death, he resurrected from the dead. He ascended to heaven. He will return to greet the church to heaven. He will judge the world and establish the kingdom of God which will remain through eternity;
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is a Person who will move men to repent and be born again. The Holy Spirit will dwell in every believer to be their comforter and counselor. Because of the work of the Holy Spirit, believers may be strengthened and live in truth;
- We believe that man was originally created in the image and likeness of God. Man rebelled and sinned against God. Consequently, man was separated from God and death spread to all man. Man must believe in Jesus Christ and be reconciled with God;
- We believe the Church was chosen by God, headed by Christ and its body is composed of born again Christians who, together, worship God, serve God and preach the Gospel to the utmost part of the earth as they wait for the second coming of the Lord;
- We believe that the baptism by water and the Holy Communion are the only Holy observations of the church. The Bible prescribes their processes by which the church can testify for the Lord today.
Back to Home